487 Tritype In-depth

Enneachat is hosted by Katherine Chernick Fauvre and David W. Fauvre, MA, co-founders of Enneagram Explorations found online at http://www.Enneagram.net

487 Tritype In-depth

Postby Riley » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:37 pm

I originally self-typed as an 8w7 with either an 847, 837, or 853 tritype. Lately, though, I've been questioning the 8 typing. I definitely have some 8ish motivations and personality features, but I think my core is 4. Because most typology tests focus on the more romantic aspects of the 4 type, I had always discounted it as a possibility. I've delved more deeply into 4, though, and think my actual tritpye is 487, with the 4 having balanced wings (4wB-8w7-7w8) or possibly, but less likely, 485 (4wB-8w7-5w4). My instinctual subtype is sx/sp without a doubt.

How would you differentiate between these tritypes? What would you note as the key markers distinguishing a sexual 4 from a sexual 8 or just an 8 in general?

Note: The questioning of type has nothing to do with feelings, I've always been aware of being intensely moody and experiencing the extremes of feelings. It stems, in part, from realizing that my passion for truth and justice serve the end of authenticity. When my principles are breached, my anger pours out from a place of idealistic authenticity.

Another part of the equation is the realization that I need to create like I need to breathe. I suffocate without creativity, and likewise without freedom and independence.

Additionally, the habit of distinguishing myself from others and rejecting anything normal or expected is so deeply ingrained that I was not even aware, until recently, how much it forms the fiber of my being. It comes naturally to the point of seamlessness.

There is also a consistent habit of regeneration in my life. Compared with people I know, I tend to face more challenges (whether due to personality conflicts or circumstances, I don't know), but I always overcome them and transmute the pain within into new strength and passion without.

A point of irony: my greatest talent is the one I'm most conflicted about sharing with others. When I create in that way, it's so intensely personal and meaningful to me, that the thought of facing rejection for it is painfully unnerving. When I do share it, the reception is always incredibly positive and people tend to be struck in ways that surprise me (one person actually told me that it literally took away the pain in his tooth), others have mentioned how it goes straight through you and grabs at your heart.
Riley

Re: 487 Tritype In-depth

Postby Katherine874 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:34 am

I remember your collage. Can you repost it as we unable to move them to this board. Start a thread with the collages if you would like to share them. I would love to have everyone's collages as I believe that they are so powerful on a visual level.

When I first saw your collage I was struck by how much it looked like the 847 or 837 Tritype. I believe I asked you questions regarding your collage, do you remember what I said?

This tritype is the most creative type on the enneagram regardless of which type is in charge. This creativity may or may not have artistic talent but always has a sense of aesthetics. All three crave authenticity, depth and individuality,

The 487 craves attention, affirmation and mirroring more than autonomy and freedom. They need to be mirrored as not only unique but highly original. Their greatest demands are those they make of themselves.

The 847 craves autonomy and must be the master and commander of their lives. The 847 does not seek mirroring unless very narcissistic. All narcissistic types demand an undo amount of mirroring to feel safe. The 487 uses the power of indifference when in defense.
Katherine874

Postby ithappenedagain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:13 am

Riley, I really can relate to you and this tritype. I don't know if I'm a 4 or a very wounded 8w9 (four seems to be more likely given that I resonate more with infp, but not the wishy-washy love version, more the hardened genuine outlaw sort).

the habit of distinguishing myself from others and rejecting anything normal or expected is so deeply ingrained that I was not even aware, until recently, how much it forms the fiber of my being. It comes naturally to the point of seamlessness.

A point of irony: my greatest talent is the one I'm most conflicted about sharing with others. When I create in that way, it's so intensely personal and meaningful to me, that the thought of facing rejection for it is painfully unnerving. When I do share it, the reception is always incredibly positive and people tend to be struck in ways that surprise me (one person actually told me that it literally took away the pain in his tooth), others have mentioned how it goes straight through you and grabs at your heart.

My art's intensely personal as well. I don't experience much fear of rejection and don't necessarily have to have mirroring, my art is what it is and not gussied up for presentation, but I can't stand it being pulled from me when I'm not ready to show it (there's a real vulnerability about others seeing me at that 'vulnerable' stage of the creative process), and I hate when others get really nit-picky about meaningless beside-the-point things (art school wasn't fun). But like you I always seem to get extraordinary and positive feedback which surprises me... getting comments that my art is 'raw' and truthful, that I'm not afraid to put my self out on the table.

Did you go to art school? I had such a problem with it, with being expected to adhere easily to the system and rules, I'm always ashamed that it wore me down. What would a type 8 do in that situation? Or a type 4? Being worn down I just majorly retreated and felt black-listed, bitter, 'against' everything and everyone somehow (unintentionally), hated being in class when I wasn't at my best, hated having others see me weakened and unsure and not in control of my life and projects. I think people still saw me as quite sure of myself (quiet confidence) and told me about my potential and that I was 'underachieving' (yeah way to drive that point home, didn't they know I already KNEW?). It was just weird. Ultimately I just can't see myself working for someone else, under someone else's creative rule or direction. I feel an intense need to blaze trails and to do it all myself, to steadily learn new art things (like making clothes) until I get back the strength to do proper art again in the world...

Anyway. 487-847 definitely fits me.
ithappenedagain

Postby skyboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 am

Hi all.

I'm a musician and 48... something.

Being mirrored is a lifetime obsession. So much that I tend to dream of a mirror that is just not here. I talk to people, especially artists, as if they were 4s. I thank the enneagram for allowing me to allow people to be different. I have a 7 friend for example, and I started to feel very good with her, the day I understood she was a 7. At this point, looking for 4 or 8 mirror stopped, I just relaxed, and accepted that we could spend some time together, and that there would be things we would just never share. It just stopped being a problem. We just laugh all the time.

As a 4, I have a dream of "excellence", which is for me intense deep and sincere music, and I get along very bad with other "usual" musicians who just want to have fun, spend time together or for who music is mainly a job. But I feel terribly good with other 4s. We understand eachother not only personally but artistically. Which is much more important to me.

Since I'm still trying to find missing musicians in the band, the 8 is the major cause for pain. He gets terribly angry and frustrated, even sometime hateful that things don't get done. And he knows that he can't "make people creative". Somehow, the 4 has a dream, the 8 is in charge of it on the social area. And sometimes it makes me a little tough. On the one hand, I want to "be an example", being a perfect and hard working person, on the other hand, I get resentful that other people do not do the same. This is actually halfway from 1 to 8. It's still hard for me to always make a difference. I'm working today to establish "authority without anger". This needs good understanding about how 8s tend to become "part of a war" to easily.

All 4s that I know didn't like musical schools, feeling that art cannot be taught. It feels like a lifetime personal quest, and the rest (rules and theories) are just "details". However we appreciate mentoring from other artists we admire a lot. They are our natural teachers.
skyboy

Postby zeomagnetic » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:15 am

What about 7-4-8?? I have been thinking that may be my tritype, as my seven-y ways can be overshadowed by nihilism and melancholy and depression when i am stressed out or alone, but my main day to day self is unfocused, excited, hyper, and adventurous. The 8 is just how i respond when i need to... can take the reigns if needed, but not my main focus.
zeomagnetic

Return to Enneagram Type, Tritype and Insinctual Subtype Discussion