Enneagram, Instinctual Subtypes and Spirituality 2007

Enneachat is hosted by Katherine Chernick Fauvre and David W. Fauvre, MA, co-founders of Enneagram Explorations found online at http://www.Enneagram.net

Postby Katherine874 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am

Research Findings

How is the following true for you in terms of your primary Enneagram Type and your Tritype?

These are the basic findings on the Survey "Enneagram, Instinctual Subtypes and Spirituality." The types that gave the most in depth feedback are the 4s and 5s. When I saw a pattern of confluence, I followed up with interviews. I will post the instinct information as a separate topic.

Spiritual Desire
Spiritual Block
Focus, Need and Path for Spiritual Growth

Desire: Relax & Sanity
Fear of being wrong
Focus on getting it right but can make errors in judgment by being narrow minded.
Need to learn, improve, get it right and be appropriate.
Learns to understand obsessive behavior, compulsions, critical voice, recognize own rigidity, to be less judgmental, to be more accepting and to find some serenity.

Freedom & Healing
Fear of Loneliness
Focus on giving to others but remain needy and fearful.
Need to seduce others and be in relationship to feel secure, move towards others.
Learns more about self, own emotional responses, my different relationships with spouse, friends, family and associates and hidden need to manage other’s perceptions.

Sincerity & Awareness
Fear of not doing
Focus on success but remain unaware of not having an accurate self-image.
Need clarity, focus, to be polished and have a successful presentation.
Learns to recognize own deceit and falseness, mimicry, adopted image and need to adapt to maintain the image of success and need for a spiritual role to emulate.

Self Discovery & Connection
Fear of no meaning
Focus on sensitivity and depth but remain unaware of indifference and sophistry.
Need spiritual connection, personal growth and self-development.
Learns compassion and acceptance for self and others, emotional organization, manage disorientation, see inner patterns, driving forces and focus on spiritual ideal.

Insight & Guidance
Fear of obligation
Focus on being knowledgeable but remain ignorant of the truth of emotions.
Need clear mind, to acquire knowledge, avoid obligation and entanglements.
Learns tolerance, to be aware of avoiding engagement and personal orientation to the world and patterns of behavior, peace without deadness or complacency.

Rapport & Faith
Fear of being mislead
Focus on being loyal & dutiful but remain unaware of disloyal, persecuting actions.
Need to question, be safe, supported, encouraged, manage anxiety and survive.
Learns to know and understand self & others, personal challenges, be realistic, uncover strengths, to be non-judgmental and that duty is fear of being cast out.

Balance & Depth
Fear of disappointment
Focus on the bright side but remain in the dark about own negative emotions.
Need satisfaction, equality, freedom, to see spirituality as a journey.
Learns to listen, avoid pitfalls, to go deeper, hidden desire to have control, to make better choices, to be proactive rather than reactive and thus achieves wholeness.

Compassion & Sensitivity
Fear of being manipulated
Focus on truth and justice but remain in denial about playing with the truth
Need truth, respect, to know where others are coming from, what makes them tick
Learns to be more conscious of tendency to dominate and/or intimidate, to be compassionate with self and others, to feel joy instead of just pleasure.

Wholeness & Forgiveness
Fear of being uncomfortable
Focus on seeing all points of view but remain unconvinced by any viewpoint.
Need to be relaxed, a buffer, have peaceful relating, be harmonious and in union.
Learns why I don’t cope with conflict, hidden apathy, indifference and judgment, tendency to be swept away, automatic default of inaction and disguised resentment.
Katherine874

Re: Enneagram, Instinctual Subtypes and Spirituality 2007

Postby Katherine874 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:49 am

Compassion & Sensitivity
Learns to be more conscious of tendency to dominate and/or intimidate, to be compassionate with self and others, to feel joy instead of just pleasure.

This is definitely true for me. Upon reflection, I also see that my Tritype of 874 is consistently present and that the desires and fears of all three types are an important part of my spiritual journey. I would add that I have also learned that my path towards greater awareness includes trusting my highest guidance to speak my highest truth even if to do so feels too vulnerable. This means that I must surrender to what is rather than holding on to a more protective stance of privacy.
Katherine874

Postby kobusingye » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 pm

Desire: Relax & Sanity
Fear of being wrong
Focus on getting it right but can make errors in judgment by being narrow minded.
Need to learn, improve, get it right and be appropriate.
Learns to understand obsessive behavior, compulsions, critical voice, recognize own rigidity, to be less judgmental, to be more accepting and to find some serenity.

As a 1 I felt like finding the Ennea gave me language for my obsessive behavior, compulsions, etc. I think I'm always desiring sanity and relaxation, and flit to the unhealthy 7 pattern of "thinking positive" while fearing to see the 4 side of emotion, suffering, sadness. I'm a social 1 with a 2 wing, so also focus my critical voice on systems of injustice or on relationships when it feels too much for my inner self. In a relationship with a 6, good for me to laugh at my own rigidity and he helps me to do that.
kobusingye

Postby infp9 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:45 am

Aa a number 9, born in October, and thus categoriaed as a Libra. I always found the aspect of balancing things to reflective of my nature. Thus, the point about attempting to see all points of view resonates with me. It also comes out in that I rarely like making decisions and keeping my options open, which is reflected in my MBTI type as being a "P".
infp9

Postby Katherine874 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Yes, the 9s have preferred that the focus of attention is seeing all points of view yet remain unconvinced by any... The 9 is the seeker. Thanks
Katherine874

Postby Kuhner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Compassion & Sensitivity

I'm 835. Low sensitivity? Yeah. I don't pick up on interpersonal subtleties well or acknowledge soft emotions in others, esp. at work. I need to see clear expressions of hurt to know that I'm being too forceful. And by then, I've already run the person down.

Truth and Justice? Big time. Society could never give me justice if my line has been crossed. I've got to seek it out for myself.
Kuhner

Postby Katherine874 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm 835. Low sensitivity? Yeah. I don't pick up on interpersonal subtleties well or acknowledge soft emotions in others, esp. at work. I need to see clear expressions of hurt to know that I'm being too forceful. And by then, I've already run the person down.

Truth and Justice? Big time. Society could never give me justice if my line has been crossed. I've got to seek it out for myself.

---------
The 835, 358 and 538 tritypes struggle with sensitivity the most. What instinctual subtype do you have?
Katherine874

Postby Kuhner » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 am

I'm so/sp.
Kuhner

Postby Katherine874 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Social makes a lot of sense for you. This creates a greater focus on the big picture and social injustices... Often great debaters and attorneys, spirituality often comes late in life.
Katherine874

Postby Riley » Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 am

Katherine874 wrote:8
Compassion & Sensitivity

This is very true for me, every part of it. Ironically, I almost just said, "except I don't play with the truth". I can recognize instances where I do if I'm honest with myself.

Self Discovery & Connection
Fear of no meaning
Focus on sensitivity and depth but remain unaware of indifference and sophistry.
Need spiritual connection, personal growth and self-development.
Learns compassion and acceptance for self and others, emotional organization, manage disorientation, see inner patterns, driving forces and focus on spiritual ideal.

Again, entirely true. The strength of my connection to the 4 is what makes me go back and forth between 8 and 4. As vastly different as the types are, I see both of them equally in myself, almost as if I'm a combination of the two and not one over the other.

Balance & Depth
Fear of disappointment
Focus on the bright side but remain in the dark about own negative emotions.
Need satisfaction, equality, freedom, to see spirituality as a journey.
Learns to listen, avoid pitfalls, to go deeper, hidden desire to have control, to make better choices, to be proactive rather than reactive and thus achieves wholeness.

I don't have a tendency to focus on the bright side, in fact I often delve into the darkest parts of human and instinctual nature because it's part of what makes not only people, but also the world tick. I have a drive to understand the dark underbelly. Equality and freedom are enormous concerns for me, and the rest of the description fits well in my tritype.

(The 5 didn't fit well at all in light of the tritype, though it relates to my INTP personality type under the MBTI system, but it just misses something undefinable. I can delineate now between the parts of myself encompassed by the enneagram, and the parts encompassed by MBTI. I view various type systems, astrology, numerology, etc. as each providing pieces of one larger puzzle. Neither is definitive and complete within itself in terms of the totality of the individual.)

Rapport & Faith
Fear of being mislead
Focus on being loyal & dutiful but remain unaware of disloyal, persecuting actions.
Need to question, be safe, supported, encouraged, manage anxiety and survive.
Learns to know and understand self & others, personal challenges, be realistic, uncover strengths, to be non-judgmental and that duty is fear of being cast out.

I decided to respond to this, too, since some of my energy is very CP sx 6, and I strongly relate to the paradoxical nature of 6s, as my own nature is a bundle of contradictions and opposites. The survival and challenge points of this fit, but I think that the way they play out is in an 8 way, and not a 6 way. Opposition only makes me more adamant about doing whatever it is I'm doing and seeing justice prevail. I don't seek a place within or outside of a system. The system is always irrelevant. I don't require the support or guidance of others as a general rule, and only seek it from people I respect in some way, and for limited purposes. My loyalty drive is of an sx 8 nature and not a 6ish anxiety-ridden nature.
Riley

Next

Return to Enneagram Type, Tritype and Insinctual Subtype Discussion